City Secretary's Office
The City Secretary's Office operates to serve the citizens of San Benito by assisting, promoting, and enhancing the governmental process of this municipality by:
- Supporting the City Commission and the City Administration in fulfilling their official duties
- Providing public access to municipal records and other information
- Serving as chief officer of municipal elections
- Recording all legislative actions of the City Commission
- Archiving and preserving all government documents of the City.
The City Secretary's responsibilities include:
- Arranging all City Commission meetings by preparing and posting the records of all proceedings
- Fulfilling Open Records Requests made to the City's administration department
- Overseeing the records management of City departments
- Acting as the City's chief election officer for the administration of all City elections in collaboration with Cameron County and in compliance with the requirements of state election laws
- Serving as custodian of the City corporate seal and attesting the Mayor's signature on all official documents
- Countersigning all commissions issued to municipal officers and all agreements, licenses, and contracts issued by the Mayor or City Manager
- Coordinating the codification of City ordinances into the City's Code of Ordinances
- Distributing recent annexation information including ordinances, maps, zoning, service plans, and address lists to all entities having associations with the City
- Posting all legal notices required by state law and publishing all legal ads for adopted ordinances and notices of elections
- Certifying TABC alcoholic beverage license applications for businesses within the City and pyrotechnic display permits for events in the City.
The City Secretary is an officer of the City, appointed by the City Manager and approved by City Commission. This is a statutory position required by State Law and the City Charter.
The City of San Benito will hold a General Election on May 2, 2020 to elect a Mayor, a Commissioner to Place 1, and a Commissioner to Place 2.
Thursday, January 2, 2020: Candidate Packets Available for Pick-Up at City Secretary’s Office, San Benito Municipal Building, 401 North Sam Houston.
Wednesday, January 15, 2020: First day to File an Application For A Place on the General Election Ballot.
Friday, February 14, 2020: Last day to File Application For A Place on the General Election Ballot. (Must be received by 5:00 p.m. at City Secretary’s Office)
Per deadline mandated by the Texas Election Code, applications will not be accepted past the 5:00 p.m. deadline.
Eligibility Requirements For Candidates Click Here
Notice of Deadline To File Applications for Place On The Ballot Click Here